The Oft-Forgotten About Me Page
It can be awkward, awesome or a downright disaster. The About Me page is the oft-forgotten black sheep of most blogs. Many create this page immediately after their initial set up and never return to edit or update it. This forgotten page is remarkably the second most visited page (after the home page), making it one of the first impressions that visitors will receive about your blog. This page serves as a type of resume or overview for the greater purpose of your site. Whether you’re attempting to generate sales, share content or make meaningful connections, a polished About Me page is the first step in creating a firm online handshake between you and your potential fans and partners. While the task may seem daunting (no one actually likes writing about themselves – well, almost no one), there are five quick things you can do today to make your About Me page the most impressive page on your blog.
1. Write it all down (everything)
The first step in writing about yourself or your brand is to write down all the facts. This includes the story of how things all began, your background, your mission and exactly what it is that you have to offer. See the list below for suggestions on how to begin your fact brainstorming list:
- Biography: Who are you and how did you get here?
- Mission: What’s your blog and your brand about, and more importantly: why should anyone pay attention?
- Audience: Who are you trying to reach and why?
2. Edit and Edit Again
No content should be published on your blog without a careful review of its contents. Your About Me page is no place to seem unpolished or rushed. Let your readers know that you’ve taken the time to fine-tune each and every component of your blog. Here are a few areas to always check to assure that your About Me page is eloquently refined.
- Grammar: We all forget the basics sometimes. Make sure your content flows and makes sense to the reader. Avoid awkward third person dialogues or other styles that are difficult to read. Be sure that your punctuation is consistent.
- Formatting: Beware the oh-so-simple copy and paste strategy. It’s okay to get information from other published sources and documents as long as they’re properly sourced, but always be sure that the formatting is correct and – most importantly – that it makes sense. Ask yourself: “does this match the tone of the rest of my content?”
- Length: While your remarkable story of self discovery may be pages long, your About Me page is no place to tell all. Keep your content limited to a few paragraphs to assure that it’s a light, easy read. A visitor should be able to read your entire page in under 60 seconds.
3. Say it with Images
Many readers may visit your About Me page, but will it influence them to actually read on? Adding appropriate imagery is a great tactic to intrigue your readers and make your page more visually appealing. Here are a few things to consider when selecting imagery for this page.
- Appropriateness: Always be sure that the images you choose fit your mission and appeal to your target audience. Stay away from amateur profile photos and anything that could be considered to be unprofessional. Head shots, action shots or images about your site are all good choices.
- Dimensions: Make sure that your images are appropriately sized and formatted. Distorted images cheapen your blog and give an overall impression that your blog is not as sharp as it could be. Review your theme documentation for suggestions on image sizing.
- Aesthetics: A great series of images can add much needed design elements to the often stark About Me page. Choose images that are rich in color and truly tell a story about your blog’s purpose.
4. Support it with Links
This page presents a perfect opportunity to link your potential readers to your other projects and other portions of your blog. Don’t over do it, but create a list of the top five to ten sources that you’d like your readers to be directed to. See the list below for a few suggestions:
- Linkedin: The Linkedin network is the go-to site for instant professional verification. If someone wants to know who you are and what you do, this is where they will go. Make it easy and include a link for them.
- Portfolio: If you’re trying to generate leads or strengthen your network, a great tactic is to show off the work you’ve already done. If you have a personal portfolio site, here’s a great opportunity to direct traffic to it.
- Press: A great way to gain your potential readers trust is to let them know that someone else already does. Link to a relevant news article or other posts that highlight a big accomplishment.
5. Create a Call-to-Action
As readers stumble across your About Me page, you have only a few seconds to convince them that your blog is worth adding to their bookmarks. Luckily, today there are many other ways that a reader can follow your blog. Consider adding a call-to-action that incentivizes potential readers to follow your progress using another outlet by using some of the suggestions below::
- Social Media Links:Your blog popularity will be rated by a few things, with one of the most important factors being social reach. Add links to your social media accounts to this page to strengthen your conversion numbers and make it easy for readers to follow you.
- Newsletter Sign-Up: A great email list is an invaluable tool in communicating with readers. Offer visitors the chance to join your mailer by adding an easy sign-up form or link to this page.
- Your Contact Information: You could have an amazing site with amazing content, but what does it all mean if your readers and potential partners cannot contact you? Add a contact form or appropriate links to your About Me page to direct visitors to the correct contact information.
While there’s no one size fits all formula to creating the perfect About Me page, there are several simple improvements that you can make today to create a page that converts visitors into followers. Use the guide above in addition to your understanding of your ideal audience to create the perfect template that works for you.